Ex-Man United manager plotting ‘hostile’ Glazers takeover of Red Devils

A former Manchester United manager is considering a ‘hostile’ takeover of the club.

The Premier League side are currently owned by the Glazer family after Malcolm Glazer started buying shares in the company in 2003.

Knighton claims he is plotting a hostile Man United takeover

The American owners have been widely maligned by club fans and protests have been a regular feature at Old Trafford.

Now former manager Michael Knighton, who sat on the club’s board between 1989 and 1992, is preparing a sensational return.

Speaking to Man United The Religion, he said: “Everyone knows we need a new owner for this football club.

“That’s my goal, those are my goals.

“I’m making good progress, I keep talking to people, I have good promises with good funding.

“We are currently working on the offer document – remember, this is a hostile offer.”


Joel and Avram Glazer are currently in charge of Man United

Joel and Avram Glazer are currently in charge of Man United

Asked about the definition of hostile, he explained: “It just means the club is not officially for sale, but my intention is to present these owners with a legitimate, powerful and appropriate commercial offer to say ‘you don’t you’ve run out of road, it’s time to leave, because your time is up”.

“And frankly, fans everywhere are fed up with this diet.”

Knighton was far from complimentary about the Glazers, which is likely to please United fans.

He said: “We are a club in crisis and we all know the reason why.

“We have an inept and frankly useless property that knows little about this game of football.”

Knighton was manager at United for three years before buying Carlisle

Getty

Knighton was manager at United for three years before buying Carlisle

Knighton continued: “The exciting feeling of a new season that we all have, and that balloon of excitement is there but it quickly burst when we saw the performance against Brighton.

“Honestly, the Lionesses, we could have played them and I think they would have gotten a better result.

“The club is in crisis and it will remain in crisis as long as we have this current ownership – that’s the situation.”

Protests continue to be a regular feature and ahead of the first game of the 2022/23 season, which was Erik ten Hag’s first charge, another protest took place.

Knighton hopes to return to Man United 30 years after leaving

Getty

Knighton hopes to return to Man United 30 years after leaving

Knighton added: “It is inevitable that fans will protest out of frustration, out of disappointment; what else can they do to show their disappointment with these protests?

“The protests are brilliantly organised, they are peaceful – this is very important – no one would support violence.

“These are peaceful protests by supporters who just say ‘look, we want change – preferably, we want regime change’.

“So, yes, the protests will continue, it’s inevitable, until they bring about what everyone wants, which is change.”

Man United fan protests saw their game with Liverpool called off last year

AFP

Man United fan protests saw their game with Liverpool called off last year

In a final message to fans, he concluded: “My consortium is ready and waiting, funds are committed, the offer document is being drafted and it will be presented.

“We are still waiting for the great Sir Jim Ratcliffe to come forward because he solves all our problems, makes my work redundant, but until Jim comes my consortium will submit their offer very soon – that I guarantee.”

Weekend Deals

Paddy Feed Tenders

ALL CUSTOMERS: Bet £5 via the talkSPORT EDGE app with Paddy Power and get a £5 free bet – available to all customers* – CLAIM HERE

NEW CUSTOMERS: Bet £10 on Premier League, get £40 free bets* – CLAIM HERE

All Customers: Place a bet on £5 Sportsbook via the talkSPORT EDGE app between 1st and 31st August. Get a €5 free bet on the Monday following your qualifying bet. Terms and conditions apply. 18+ Begambleaware.org

New customers: new customer offer. Place a £10 Premier League sports bet from Wednesday August 10 to Monday August 15, odds 1/2 (1.5) — get £40 free bets, valid for 30 days. Only deposits via cards will be eligible. Free bets will be awarded after settlement of the qualifying bet. The T&Cs apply. Please gamble responsibly. 18+ Begambleaware.org

SEE MORE FREE BET OFFERS HERE



Ex-Man United manager plotting ‘hostile’ Glazers takeover of Red Devils

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.