Newcastle ‘send official complaint to Premier League’ against VAR as co-owner Amanda Staveley says she had an all-nighter after match officials effectively ADMITTED their mistakes in their game and Chelsea v West Ham
- Newcastle United will make a formal complaint to the Premier League over VAR
- The Magpies had a goal disallowed for a Joe Willock foul on Vicente Guaita
- Disallowed goal cost Newcastle chance to beat Crystal Palace
- Co-owner Amanda Staveley has shared her take on the ‘mistakes’ made by VAR
Newcastle United will file a formal complaint with the Premier League over a VAR decision that cost them victory over Crystal Palace at the weekend.
An own goal from Tyrick Mitchell was ruled out for a Joe Willock foul on Crystal Palace goalkeeper Vicente Guaita.
Replays showed Willock being shoved at Guaita by Mitchell during the build-up, although VAR manager Lee Mason told referee Michael Salisbury to visit his monitor, where he reversed his original decision and disallowed the goal.
An own goal from Tyrick Mitchell, ruled out for a Joe Willock foul on Palace’s Vicente Guaita
VAR told referee Michael Salisbury to visit his monitor, where he reversed his decision
Telegraph Sport have reported that Newcastle are so furious with the way they have been treated by match officials and VAR so far this season that they have lodged an official written complaint and are seeking an explanation.
Other incidents Newcastle feel aggrieved by include the decision not to award Sean Longstaff a penalty against Wolves, after replays clearly showed the midfielder pulled his shirt inside the box. repair of Molineux.
It was one of several controversial VAR decisions over the weekend, including West Ham’s chalk equalizer as they lost 2-1 to Chelsea.
PGMOL, the refereeing body, seem ready to accept that they may have made the wrong choices in denying goals to Newcastle and West Ham in separate matches on Saturday.
It was one of many controversial VAR decisions, including West Ham’s equalizer ruled out
High-profile figures within the league itself have demanded accountability, having been puzzled by both rulings.
Newcastle, however, are growing increasingly frustrated with VAR, with a home incident against Manchester City also causing consternation – a John Stones challenge on Fabien Schar inside the box going unpunished.
They also conceded a 98th-minute goal against Liverpool last week when just five minutes of added time were reported, with boss Eddie Howe denying his side were guilty of wasting time at Anfield.
It will be the second time in just nine months that Newcastle have complained about the standard of refereeing and accused the gaming authorities of treating them unfairly.
Newcastle co-owner Amanda Staveley has given her thoughts on the VAR decision that cost the Magpies a win over Crystal Palace
Newcastle co-owner Amanda Staveley (pictured, right) has given her thoughts on the VAR decision
“I had an all-nighter, we should have won,” Staveley told Tyneside Life. “I hated the VAR decision. Obviously that’s something we deal with, and it seems to be a constant theme of the last few games.
“We’re dealing with that, and we’re talking to officials, and trying to get something that we think will work going forward.”
PGMOL was immediately ordered to investigate after the incidents over the weekend.
The body reportedly promised to cooperate with the rare request from the Premier League and would “learn lessons” from the fury to help shape the training of match officials.
PGMOL said in a statement: “PGMOL acknowledges the incidents to disallow goals in the matches Chelsea v West Ham and Newcastle v Crystal Palace.
“We will co-operate and collaborate fully with the Premier League and ask them to review these two particular incidents, using the outcome as part of the ongoing weekly performance assessment and development of our match officials going forward.”
Newcastle ‘submit formal complaint to Premier League’ against VAR