Autodromo Nazionale Monza, Sunday September 11
Hear McLaren Formula 1 drivers Lando Norris and Daniel Ricciardo and Team Principal Andreas Seidl after the Italian Grand Prix.
How it happened
• Lando had a problem at the start which dropped him to P7, moving Daniel to P3.
• Verstappen managed to pass Daniel at the end of the first lap before the first chicane, while Lando regained a place at the same place by passing Alonso.
• Lando swapped positions with Alonso twice more, ultimately staying ahead, as Sainz managed to work his way through the pack and ahead of the two McLaren drivers.
• Daniel went from medium to hard on lap 19, emerging at P12 and avoiding Gasly’s undercut.
• After creating a buffer zone, Lando stops on lap 35 but a slow pit stop means he leaves the pit lane in traffic and loses positions to Hamilton and Gasly.
• Lando quickly regained positions with their new soft tyres, overtaking Gasly and Ricciardo who were both on old hard tyres.
• Daniel unfortunately suffers an oil leak and is forced to retire on lap 46, the Safety Car is deployed as the marshals rush to remove the car from the track.
• Lando showed up for new Softs, but the race ended under the safety car, meaning Lando went home in P7.
|Started||3rd [Due to grid penalties]|
|fastest lap||1m24.718s on lap 43 (+0.688s, 5th)|
|Pit stops||2, turn 35 [Mediums/Softs] (5.1s) and lap 47 [Softs/Softs] (3.1s)|
” A good day. Very happy with the end result. The pace was very strong today. when we could have scored very good points. However, there are a lot of positives coming out of this weekend. Strong things to try to continue next time. So we will continue to work hard and try to maintain this momentum for the next races.”
|Started||4th [Due to grid penalties]|
|completed||DNF [Oil leak]|
|fastest lap||1m26.603s on lap 39 (+2.573s, 12th)|
|Pit stops||1, turn 19 [Mediums/Hards] (3.5s)|
“It was good to start in front and have a good start. Lando looked like he had a bad start so I got ahead of him and it was good to be third there, but I quickly saw that Max (Verstappen) was right behind me and he was obviously on another level. I was just trying to put a pace in fourth, but we weren’t fast enough. I felt like we were doing good work to hold Gasly back but I didn’t have much more to show It was a busy race I was trying to hold on doing what I could and then yeah I felt like we had some pace on the Hards with 10-15 laps to go but the engine just died out of turn six I had to stop right away because the gear was stuck so I couldn’t drive to a safe place. It would have been nice to score some points, but it wasn’t supposed to be today.
“Mixed feelings today at Monza. On the plus side the pace we had this weekend and throughout the race was very encouraging, especially with the hot weather and a low downforce setup have not favored us in the past. On the other hand, a retirement for Daniel is disappointing, costing us valuable points in the constructors’ championship after he had a very solid weekend, both yesterday in qualifying and also today in the race Lando’s seventh place, however, confirms us as the fourth fastest team this weekend.
“It comes from the hard work of the whole team, here and at home, with our colleagues at Mercedes HPP. A break now for two weekends before heading to Singapore. While work on the car of the next year continues at a pace, in parallel we will use this time to analyze all the data we have gathered on the triple header and see how we can take further action with the car as we head towards the last six races of the season.
“We feel well prepared and ready for an Italian Grand Prix”
Pop quiz: Italian GP
What do you know of our history at the Italian Grand Prix?
The new generation
With a new generation of cars comes uncertainty – Daniel’s race engineer Tom Stallard explores
The composition of Shadow ’22 pilots
“We can’t wait to get started and hope to get some good results this year”
Join the team
McLaren Plus is our free fan loyalty programme, bringing McLaren fans closer to the team with the most inclusive, rewarding and open fan programs in motorsport.
Join now, or current members can change their details in the form below if needed.
McLaren Racing - 2022 Italian Grand Prix